Ohio University (OU) Public Outreach
Summer 2010-Fall 2011
• Attend Site Specific Advisory Board (SSAB) Full Board meetings and
SSAB subcommittee meetings. Present updates on our progress to
SSAB as requested/as appropriate.
• Identify and interview persons involved with Portsmouth Gaseous
Diffusion Plant (PORTS) to inform OU outreach efforts.
• Conduct outreach activities at county fairs and other public events in the 4 county
area around PORTS
- To educate the public on OU’s role and outreach process
- To gather contacts for persons interested in participating in end-state visioning teams that
will meet in the fall of 2010. These teams will convene to develop future use/end-state
scenarios for PORTS.
• Conduct focus groups to assist in the development of a public opinion survey related to
issues/concerns/hopes for the future use of PORTS.
• Develop and pilot test the phone survey.
• Administer phone survey to residents of the labor market area (4 county region
of Pike, Ross, Scioto, and Jackson Counties) about perceptions/ideas/concerns
of the future use of the site.
• Develop and administer a separate survey to administer to current employees at
• Convene visioning teams and hold public meetings to develop possible end-state
scenarios to be presented to Department of Energy (DOE).
• Continue outreach activities.
Spring of 2011
• Present and discuss end-state scenarios with the general public and submit
scenarios to DOE.
Summer-Fall of 2011
• Submit report of public outreach activities.
• OU will post information and updates on our outreach project.
• The site will gather input from the public on the OU outreach
process and gather ideas for future use of the PORTS site.